WHAT TO ASK WHEN SELECTING A CONSTRUCTION PARTNER
These questions should give you a good idea of the contractor’s experience, abilities, and approach to construction projects. By asking these questions, you can make a more informed decision about whether or not to hire them.
Consider asking the commercial contractor:
- What is your experience with projects similar to mine?
- How does your firm handle design? (If they say they are Design-Build, do they have in-house architects on staff or are they using a 3rd party architect? True Design-Build construction firms have in-house architects and design teams. Third-party architects significantly increase the risk for the owner compared to a firm that has an in-house design team.)
- Can you provide references from previous clients, and may I contact them?
- What is your company’s size, and what is your team’s capacity to handle my project?
- Do you provide an onsite superintendent? If so, are they dedicated to just one project or do they float on multiple jobs? (A dedicated superintendent focused only on your project will keep the project on track and provides cost mitigation.)
- Ask the general Contractor to walk through the initial meeting all the way to the final construction phase. (This is a good way to help you understand if their process is a good fit for you and your project.)
- If we need a budget for the project, what is your company’s process for creating that budget?
- What is your company’s safety record, and how do you ensure the safety of your workers, your subcontractors, and the public during construction?
- How do you handle change orders, and what is your process for requesting additional funds or time?
- What is your policy on communication with clients during the construction process, and who will be the primary point of contact?
- What is your process for handling unforeseen issues or problems that arise during construction?
- Are you licensed and insured, and can you provide proof of this?
- What makes you different from your competitors?
Ancon Construction would love to answer these questions and learn more about your vision. A 100% Employee-Owned True Design-Build Construction firm since 1975.
Let’s get your project started…together.
CLICK HERE to view or print this as a flyer.