by Amy Self | Mar 29, 2023 | Ancon News
WHAT TO ASK WHEN SELECTING A CONSTRUCTION PARTNER
These questions should give you a good idea of the contractor’s experience, abilities, and approach to construction projects. By asking these questions, you can make a more informed decision about whether or not to hire them.
Consider asking the commercial contractor:
- What is your experience with projects similar to mine?
- How does your firm handle design? (If they say they are Design-Build, do they have in-house architects on staff or are they using a 3rd party architect? True Design-Build construction firms have in-house architects and design teams. Third-party architects significantly increase the risk for the owner compared to a firm that has an in-house design team.)
- Can you provide references from previous clients, and may I contact them?
- What is your company’s size, and what is your team’s capacity to handle my project?
- Do you provide an onsite superintendent? If so, are they dedicated to just one project or do they float on multiple jobs? (A dedicated superintendent focused only on your project will keep the project on track and provides cost mitigation.)
- Ask the general Contractor to walk through the initial meeting all the way to the final construction phase. (This is a good way to help you understand if their process is a good fit for you and your project.)
- If we need a budget for the project, what is your company’s process for creating that budget?
- What is your company’s safety record, and how do you ensure the safety of your workers, your subcontractors, and the public during construction?
- How do you handle change orders, and what is your process for requesting additional funds or time?
- What is your policy on communication with clients during the construction process, and who will be the primary point of contact?
- What is your process for handling unforeseen issues or problems that arise during construction?
- Are you licensed and insured, and can you provide proof of this?
- What makes you different from your competitors?
Ancon Construction would love to answer these questions and learn more about your vision. A 100% Employee-Owned True Design-Build Construction firm since 1975.
Let’s get your project started…together.
by Amy Self | Mar 24, 2023 | Ancon News
Celebrating Lloyd’s Successful Career in Construction
“Ancon Construction has always been really good to me. They helped me grow my career,” shares Lloyd. His passion for construction has allowed him to work on many different projects over the years, each with its unique challenges.
From a young age, Lloyd had a clear vision of what he wanted to do with his life. His passion for construction was evident, and he pursued it after graduating from high school. He began his journey building residential houses and working a few other jobs before he was hired by Ancon Construction.
Starting as a carpenter, Lloyd’s hard work and dedication were quickly recognized by Andy Frech, the Founder of Ancon Construction, and other leaders. Andy’s management style and the company’s philosophy resonated with Lloyd, and he knew he had found the right place to grow his career.
“Lloyd had the respect of employees and subs because he had an honest and no-nonsense attitude but a good sense of humor and easy laugh which gave them the confidence to do their job well,” shares Andy Frech.
Among the projects that Lloyd remembers with pride are Edison Lakes and the Goshen High School pool project. Lloyd has tackled a variety of builds over his career, and each one has kept him motivated with their challenges.
As Lloyd approaches his 34-year anniversary with Ancon as an employee-owner, he reflects on his career and has some advice for the younger generation, “Know what you want out of life and work to achieve it!”
by Amy Self | Mar 13, 2023 | Ancon News
Building for our Future
Ancon Construction was honored to participate in Concord High School‘s Career Day on Friday, March 9th, 2023, where we had the opportunity to connect with students and share our passion for construction and architecture.
We were happy to talk with over 80 students about different career paths available in the construction industry, from fieldwork to architecture and design. We shared our experiences, insights, and opportunities Ancon provided for our career paths. We also offered advice on how to navigate this dynamic and rewarding field.
At Ancon Construction, we believe in investing in the future of our community and participating in events like Concord High School Career Day.
by Amy Self | Mar 7, 2023 | Ancon News
Jan Ferron Named Greater Elkhart Chamber’s 2023 Woman of the Year
Congratulations to Jan Farron for being recognized as the Woman of the Year by the Greater Elkhart Chamber of Commerce!
This award recognizes a woman who stands out for her exceptional leadership in her profession, organization, and community and embodies the Chamber’s values of excellence and service. This is a well-deserved award and your hard work and dedication have not gone unnoticed.
We are very proud to have Jan serving on the Ancon board of directors.
by Amy Self | Feb 18, 2023 | Ancon News
The Inspiring Career Journey of Ancon Employee-Owner Ed
“Ed is a valuable part of our team. He has a great work ethic. He is dependable and an excellent form carpenter who does things right the first time,” shares Rodney, a colleague who has worked alongside Ed for many years.
Ed’s passion for the trades began in high school, where he took building trades classes at Elkhart Central. He knew immediately that working in concrete was his calling, and two days after graduating, he began his journey in the industry. Two years later, he joined the Ancon team and has been a valued employee-owner ever since.
Looking back on his first project at Oaklawn in Goshen, Ed remembers thinking he might never become one of the employees with the longest tenure, but with hard work and determination, he would never have imagined reaching this level. Ed attributes his success to Ancon, stating, “If it weren’t for Ancon, I wouldn’t be where I am today. They are reliable and have always been good to me. They are like family.”
Congratulations, Ed, on your 37 years of dedicated service at Ancon Construction!
Join us in celebrating Ed’s 37 years of work in construction! Let’s show our appreciation for his dedication and hard work by sharing your congratulatory notes and well wishes here.
by Amy Self | Feb 7, 2023 | Ancon News
Celebrating 32 Years of Dedication
Meet Vicky, a dedicated employee-owner of Ancon Construction who has been with the company for an impressive 32 years. Vicky’s journey at Ancon Construction began as an administrative assistant, answering phones and handling other clerical tasks. It was during this time that she had the opportunity to work alongside the company’s founder, Andy Frech. Two years into her role, Ancon Construction experienced growth and Vicky’s role evolved to accounts payable and receiving. Eventually, she became the AP/AR manager, a position she has held for the past 30 years.
“Vicky is a prime example of what it means to be a dedicated professional. Her skills and work ethic were pivotal in my decision to join Ancon Construction. It is individuals like Vicky who provide the foundation for a successful business yet often go unrecognized for their invaluable contributions. It is with utmost sincerity that I say, the presence of someone like Vicky is what sets truly great companies apart – and we are lucky to have her at Ancon,” shares Rhett Fisher, CFO at Ancon Construction.
“I have enjoyed working with the people at Ancon Construction over the past 32 years and am excited for the future of the company. I am particularly looking forward to the construction of a new corporate office, and am optimistic about the bright future ahead for Ancon Construction,” shares Vicky.
Thanks for your dedication, Vicky! Your positive attitude and willingness to adapt to change have made you an invaluable asset to the team. We are grateful you are part of the Ancon Construction family.